A few months ago I was hosting/attending baby showers left and right – well now all those friends are having babies! I’ve snuggled more babies the last 6 weeks than I have in years. I’m not complaining.
Snuggle ’em when they’re happy, and give ’em back when they cry – it’s perfect.
A good friend of mine, Paige, had her baby girl (Olivia) less than 2 weeks ago. I was able to get my fill of newborn baby snuggles in this last week. Paige had a really tough delivery and as a result, had become very anemic. Her husband texted me to see if I had any good smoothie recipes with iron and of course I jumped at the chance to make her a few of my favorites!
- The Yogi Smoothie with the addition of wheat grass.
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Smoothie – instead of protein powder I used Vega One Chocolate Powder.
- My favorite all-in-one nutritional shake packets – Vega One. I like to keep these on me when I’m traveling. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals, and are strictly plant based.
I chose these smoothies for a few reasons:
- Wheat grass is rich in iron. Iron regenerates and reactivates the red blood cells and supplies fresh oxygen to the body.
- Raw cacao is the highest plant-based source of iron known to man at a whopping 7.3mg per 100g. This compares to beef at 2.5mg per 100g. Just another reason why you should never give up chocolate. 😉 Or that’s my reasoning anyway…
- Plant-based iron is more easily absorbed when paired with Vitamin C – hence the lemon and cherries.
Yogi Smoothie (wheatgrass) Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
These smoothies are Baby Olivia approved!
To have blog posts sent directly to your email, please click on the “Follow” button under Follow Blog via Email at the bottom of this page.
The Farmer’s Daughter is now on Facebook! Go “like” the page to see all the blog shenanigans.